Assemblyman, District 41
Speaker Pro Tempore of the Nevada State Assembly
First let me say…
It was a good move in 1968 when I applied to "Nevada Southern University" (NSU) as a math professor. Forty years later, I retired from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas as Emeritus Professor of Mathematical Science. And during those 40 years, I was Assistant to two UNLV presidents, Director of Summer Programs, and Dean of Continuing Education. (Please see Paul's Bio.)
In 2008, I was elected to the Nevada Assembly by the people of District 41. I have been their closest link with state government since then. In 2013, our district tripled in population and I continue as the voice in Carson City for all my new and old neighbors.
I have always been involved in our community — involved in education and business, serving our youth and seniors, and doing as much public service as time and energy allowed. (Please see Community Service.)
EDUCATION IS THE KEY TO JOB GROWTH
Economic diversity in Nevada will depend upon UNLV becoming a major research university. This will lead to more innovation, ideas, patents, new business opportunities and, hence, more jobs. Las Vegas is the only city of its size in the United States that has no major research university.
Too many families today worry about being able to send their children to college. I understand that very well. As a poor college kid in Boston, I had summer jobs in a resort hotel and in a knitting mill. That was how I worked my way through Harvard. Then I headed west to University of Arizona to earn a Masters degree and later a PhD at Arizona State University. I believe every student should have a secure future, either with a college education or a career training.
FOR OUR TEENAGERS
With my wife, Sari, and son David, I co-founded CLASS! Publications. This much-loved, non-profit organization enriched education for over 40,000 local high school students and teachers each year for 16 years (1994-2010). CLASS! was a newspaper written by, for and about our teenagers. It was published in English and Spanish, and distributed free each month to every high school in Clark County. The School District said “CLASS! is our partner in education.” (Please see the CLASS! page.)
FOR OUR SENIOR POPULATION
Learning in Retirement. As Dean, and with the help of interested seniors, I established UNLV’s popular program (now called OLLI) for semi-retired and retired Southern Nevadans. It has grown from 60 members to more than 1,300 active participants.
- Elderhostel. I also led UNLV to join the national Elderhostel network, which arranges group travel for seniors, into and out of
Las Vegas. This program brought more tourists to Las Vegas, seniors who may never have ventured here on their own.
FOR THE MILITARY
ROTC education.Students at the community college who planned for a military career needed university level co urses and a university degree to quality for officer status when they graduated. I worked with military personnel to get the required courses approved at UNLV for those students who transfer.
Paul is a skilled manager of business budgets — public funds and private.
PUBLIC FUNDS MANAGEMENT
For most of the years 1974-2008, I was Director of the Summer Term, coordinating students' needs with faculty offerings. These courses made it possible for students to earn their degrees sooner.
For 13 years, I was Dean of the College of Extended Studies. This college included Continuing Education, Radiography, Physical Education courses, ROTC, computer courses, Paralegel training and many more. I evaluated and served the needs of Southern Nevada Students.
Under my leadership, these courses paid for themselves, never having to be bailed out. If surplus funds accumulated, most were used for need-based scholarships.
PRIVATE SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- I worked with Strip hotels and other local businesses in organizing conferences that brought people to Las Vegas. For example, the international conference on Packaging and Transporting Radioactive Materials (PATRAM) included government officials and scientists from all over the planet. This issue is of particular interest to local businesses as well as to all Nevadans.
- My wife, Sari, and I founded and operated a photography-based retail store in Las Vegas.
- For four years, I served as President of a local Homeowners Association, where I successfully managed and budgeted for the maintenance and improvement of the community property.
NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION LEADERSHIP
- As co-founder of CLASS! — the above-mentioned non-profit education organization for local high school students — I initiated the financial operations and management policies that launched this community service. (Please see the CLASS! page.)
EDUCATION ORGANIZATIONS LEADERSHIP
- I was elected to serve as President and Treasurer of the Western Association of Summer Session Administrators (a distinguished higher education organization).
- Representing hundreds of UNLV teaching and research professors, I twice served as the Chair of the University's Faculty Senate.
- I was elected President of the statewide Nevada Faculty Alliance.
Insurance on your mind?
Paul is the Nevada delegate to the National Council of Insurance Legislators and serves on six committees important to the residents of our state. For details, please see the Legislation page on this website.
*Source: Press release from Conservative Leadership Conference